Sunday, October 2, 2011

Q&A With Guest Chef Abraham Salum

Good morning to all fans, advocates, and supporters of all things Cafe Momentum! Today is the first Sunday in October, which denotes several things: no more 100 degree days (no promises), Cowboys football, State Fair of Texas, and, of course, the October Cafe Momentum pop-up dinner.

We are excited and humbled to be hosting tonight’s dinner at the Communities Foundation, a true benchmark of philanthropy in Dallas. In eager anticipation of tonight’s dinner, we asked Chef Abraham Salum, of Salum and Komali, a few hard-hitting questions that not even the folks at the Dallas Morning News have the guts to ask.

Cafe Momentum: How long have you been cooking?
Abraham Salum: I started cooking in 1989 at Camino Real Hotel in Mexico City.

CM: What is your earliest food memory?
AS: A picture of me, 8 or 9 months in my mother’s arm, with a cracker with Roquefort cheese. She says I licked the cheese off the cracker and threw it away.

CM: When did you know that you wanted to be a chef?
AS: I wasn’t happy with my marketing degree and thought, “What can I do that I know I really enjoy?” Eating! Then I decided to learn how to cook.

CM: What aspect of Cafe Momentum are you most excited about?
AS: Working with the young men and being able to help them figure out what they want to do with their lives.

CM: What is your favorite item on Sunday night’s menu?
AS: The snapper and the pork!

CM: Who is your favorite Romo on the Dallas Cowboys?
AS: Not a big fan. Sorry.

CM: Why are you SO awesome?
AS: Because I am surrounded by awesome people like all of you!

So there you have it—a brief, hard-hitting, Q&A with Abraham Salum. When you all patting Abraham on the back tonight for a job well done, please make sure to be mindful of his willingness to sit down with us and endure such an endless barrage of in-depth questioning.

Once again, thank you all so very much for being so very supportive of Cafe Momentum! Your response to launching Cafe Momentum has been so motivating for all of us to keep pushing hard to turn a great idea into a permanent Dallas institution.


No comments:

Post a Comment